KU Debate Camp
The Jayhawk Debate Institute at the University of Kansas is a premier high school debate camp providing first class instruction at an exceptional value. The JDI offers students of all levels of debate experience the opportunity to further their development through a low student-to-staff ratio and interaction with exceptional faculty. Over the history of the JDI, students attending the camp have garnered strong competitive records at national and regional competitions.
The Jayhawk Debate Institute will occur this year on the following dates:
- 2 week camp: June 25th - July 8th, 2017
- 3 week camp: June 25th - July 15th, 2017
- Coaches Workshop: July 6th - July 7th, 2017
The Jayhawk Debate Institute is an attractive camp for several reasons!
Low tuition: Tuition covers fees incurred by the university for hosting the camp including but not limited to: instruction, evidence production, library borrowing privileges, as well as the use of classrooms and Internet. Tuition with Room & Board includes a renovated dorm room, and 3 meals a day during the week with two meals on the weekend (brunch and dinner). The cost to run the camp has continued to steadily increase over the years, and in order to continue to host the Jayhawk Debate Institute at KU we have had to increase the prices of the camp this year. The cost of our camp remains comparable (and in many cases still lower than) many other camps in the country, and we believe that with travel costs factored in, the JDI remains a lucrative option for preparing your debater for the upcoming season.
PAY FOR CAMP ONLINE:
|With Room & Board||Without Room & Board|
|2 week||$1850||$1150 (there will be an option for commuters to purchase a lunch and dinner meal plan--price will be set by KU Housing)|
|3 week||$2500||$1400 (there will be an option for commuters to purchase a lunch and dinner meal plan--price will be set by KU Housing)|
|Coaches Workshop||N/A||$50 (Sign up using the registration form below)|
- Pay Tuition and Room and Board Online! Simply follow this link to our pay system to pay with a credit card BEFORE Friday, June 23rd to make use of this new opportunity. Remember, you may not use this system to pay the deposit for the camp, and need your registration number for paying the deposit (from the check you send in) in order to use the online pay system. Questions? Email us: email@example.com
- Easy travel: KU's proximity to Kansas City International Airport (MCI) makes flights less expensive than to many locations. Several shuttle and limousine services can deliver students to the front door of the residence hall. More information can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Low student-staff ratio: All labs at the institute are guaranteed to have a student-to-staff ratio of no greater than 8:1. Research and work time is supervised by institute staff to facilitate students' progress.
- Proven Record: Over the past several years, students attending the Jayhawk Debate Institute have returned strong competitive records in national and regional competitions, including NFL Nationals, the TOC, and the Kansas State Tournament.
- Great Residence Halls: All students stay in air-conditioned rooms. The dormitory housing staff provides 24-hour security in all residence halls, with staffed entries and roving security patrols. Meals are served in the newly renovated "Mrs. E's dining hall, which provides a variety of service options, including pizza, pasta, sandwiches, and an extensive salad bar. Watch here for residence hall updates. Information about the specific dorm we will be housed in will come closer to camp.
How to Register
(online form) 2017 Registration form will be active December 1, 2016
We have moved the registration process online.
Please follow this link to register
Important: This year in an effort to maximize the experience of campers we will be capping the size of the JDI. We will only accept applications enough to fill 5 labs for the three week camp and 6 labs for the two week camp. Once we have reached that cap and deposits have been received holding those spots, we will start a waiting list for any remaining applicants should someone drop.
2 and 3 week camps- June 15th or when dorm space fills. The numbers we accept for these camps is limited primarily by the space we have in the dormitories for residents. We will accept registration for campers staying at the dorms until our space fills or June 15th. Commuter registration will be accepted until June 15th.
Coaches’ Workshop - We will accept registration for the coaches; workshop through July 1st, 2017. Late registration may be available depending on space. If you wish to register after this date, please fill out the registration form and email it to us. We will let you know if we have space. What happens after the online registration?
- Coaches' Workshop Registration (PDF)
Please fill out this form and return it to the address listed below.
Registration forms can be mailed to:
Debate Institute Director
Department of Communication Studies
The University of Kansas
1440 Jayhawk Blvd. - 102 Bailey Hall
Lawrence, KS 66045
For ALL 2&3 week campers - We will confirm your acceptance via email within two-weeks of receiving your application. We will also email you additional camp information at that time. If you are a resident we will send a second email once we have received your deposit check.
The Camps - This page provides general on the institute and specific information on the various camps offered by the Jayhawk Debate Institute.
The Faculty and Staff - This page provides a list of the probable staff member of the the Jayhawk Debate Institute and biographical information on each member.
Frequently Asked Questions -This page hopes to provide you with answers to the many of the common questions received and further information on the campus and transportation options.
Forms to bring with you on June 21st: Please download and fill these out and bring them with you. You will not be able to attend the camp without all of these forms. Please note that one must be notarized.
- Medical Consent Forms, We are working on getting the updated forms from the university and will send those to upload in place once we have them!
The JDI is not a profit earning business endeavor - it is a service we believe is beneficial for high school debaters and coaches. Therefore, the directors of this camp are also involved in coaching our college debate team, attending graduate school, and teaching class. As such it is difficult for us to keep normal business hours during the semester.
We will check the email often – thus EMAIL IS THE BEST WAY TO CONTACT US!