KU Debate Camp
Online registration for Student Campers
The Jayhawk Debate Institute at the University of Kansas is a premier high school debate camp providing first class instruction at an exceptional value. The JDI offers students of all levels of debate experience the opportunity to further their development through a low student-to-staff ratio and interaction with exceptional faculty. Over the history of the JDI, students attending the camp have garnered strong competitive records at national and regional competitions.
The Jayhawk Debate Institute will occur this year on the following dates:
- 2 week camp: June 24th - July 7th, 2018
- 3 week camp: June 24th - July 14th, 2018
- Coaches Workshop: July 5th - July 6th, 2018
Coaches’ Workshop - We will accept registration for the coaches; workshop through July 1st, 2018. Late registration may be available depending on space. If you wish to register after this date, please fill out the registration form and email it to us. We will let you know if we have space.
We have created a new online application link for the Coaches Workshop. Fill out the online entry form at the link below.
PAY FOR CAMP ONLINE:
|With Room & Board||Without Room & Board|
|2 week||$1900||$1150 (there will be an option for commuters to purchase a lunch and dinner meal plan--price will be set by KU Housing)|
|3 week||$2500||$1400 (there will be an option for commuters to purchase a lunch and dinner meal plan--price will be set by KU Housing)|
|Coaches Workshop||N/A||$50 (Sign up using the registration form below)|
- Pay Tuition and Room and Board Online! Simply follow this link to our pay system to pay with a credit card by Friday, June 1st. We will send you a registration number when we process your application that you should use when you make online payment.. Questions? Email us: email@example.com if you have any questions.
- If Paying by check or Money Order payment must be received by June 1st. Payment can be sent to Scott Harris, Jayhawk Debate Institute, 1440 Jayhawk, 102 Bailey Hall, Lawrence KS, 66045.
- Low tuition: Tuition with Room & Board includes a renovated dorm room, and 3 meals a day during the week with two meals on the weekend (brunch and dinner). The cost of our camp remains lower than many other camps in the country, and we believe that with travel costs factored in, the JDI remains the best option for preparing your debater for the upcoming season. We do not use the camp to fund the KU debate program but have instead designed it to cover the costs of the camp including room and board, use of University facilities and staff salaries. Dr. Harris takes no salary for the camp to help keep the costs of the camp low.
- Easy travel: KU's proximity to Kansas City International Airport (MCI) makes flights less expensive than to many locations. Several shuttle and limousine services can deliver students to the front door of the residence hall. More information can be found on the Frequently Asked Questions page.
- Low student-staff ratio: All labs at the institute are guaranteed to have a student-to-staff ratio of no greater than 8:1. Research and work time is supervised by institute staff to facilitate students' progress.
- Proven Record: Over the past several years, students attending the Jayhawk Debate Institute have returned strong competitive records in national and regional competitions, including NFL Nationals, the TOC, and the Kansas State Tournament.
- Great Residence Halls: All students stay in air-conditioned rooms. The dormitory housing staff provides 24-hour security in all residence halls, with staffed entries and roving security patrols. Meals are served in the newly renovated "Mrs. E's dining hall, which provides a variety of service options, including pizza, pasta, sandwiches, and an extensive salad bar. Watch here for residence hall updates. Information about the specific dorm we will be housed in will come closer to camp.This year the camp will be held in Templin Hall on Daisy Hill.
How to Register
(online form) 2018 Registration form will be active December 1, 2017
We have moved the registration process online.
Please follow this link to register
2 and 3 week camps- June 1st or when dorm space fills. The numbers we accept for these camps is limited primarily by the space we have in the dormitories for residents. We will accept registration for campers staying at the dorms until our space fills or June st. Commuter registration will be accepted until June 1st. If an emergency requires late registration email us.
For ALL 2&3 week campers - We will confirm your acceptance via email within two-weeks of receiving your application. We will also email you additional camp information at that time.
The Camps - This page provides general on the institute and specific information on the various camps offered by the Jayhawk Debate Institute.
The Faculty and Staff - This page provides a list of the probable staff member of the the Jayhawk Debate Institute and biographical information on each member.
Frequently Asked Questions -This page hopes to provide you with answers to the many of the common questions received and further information on the campus and transportation options.
Forms to bring with you on June 24th: Medical forms will be emailed after your application is processed.
The JDI is not a profit earning business endeavor - it is a service we believe is beneficial for high school debaters and coaches. Therefore, the directors of this camp are also involved in coaching our college debate team, attending graduate school, and teaching class. As such it is difficult for us to keep normal business hours during the semester. We will attempt to respond to emails as quickly as we can.
We will check the email often – thus EMAIL IS THE BEST WAY TO CONTACT US!
Phone: 785-864-9878. Please leave a voice message at this number.